Monday, October 16, 2023

Walt Steinle - 2023-10

 Background – I bought my first G scale Loco back in 2006, after having built an extensive Ho layout in my basement for 20+ years.   I started with a small 8 x 14’ oval but quickly started expanding it.   I had lots of issues with the track getting dirty and not conducting electricity to the loco reliably.  Because of that, I switched to battery operation with remote control.  My current layout circles my backyard and I can run three remote controlled locos at the same time.    

Some stats of my layout-

The main loop is 424 ft, (2.33 scale miles at 1:29 scale) containing four, 7 ft cedar bridges and a 3 ft one as well.  The west side of the loop contains 22 cement viaducts that replicate ones that cross the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia. There is a 6 ft tunnel that goes under my koi pond waterfall.  I have a reversing loop and a figure eight circling the koi pond.  All my turnouts are handmade.  There is over 700ft of track outside as well as 120 ft of basement storage track.  My trains run from the cellar track, up near the ceiling, out a window directly onto the outside layout.  I currently have 3 operational steam locos.  A bigboy 4-8-8-4, and two 4-6-2 Pacifics. I have 53 cars that can all be pulled using the three engines.  

 

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image

Inline image


No comments:

Post a Comment